Ramp-up tutorial for MySQL Cluster - Scaling with continuous availability (Part 1)
This is a full day tutorial
During this tutorial the attendees will have a hands-on experience in the installation, configuration management and tuning of MySQL Cluster. To accomplish the best operational procedures and exploit all the power of NDB, the attendees will achieve deep knowledge of architecture, implementation and design that allow MySQL Cluster to scale out and provide 99.999% availability.
VirtualBox VMs will be prepared for attendees, and given at the beginning of the session.
- MySQL Cluster Concepts and Architecture: we will review the principle of a fault-tolerant shared nothing architecture, and how this is implemented into NDB;
- MySQL Cluster processes : attendees will understand the various roles and interactions between Data Nodes, API Nodes and Management Nodes;
- Installation : we will install a minimal HA solution with MySQL Cluster on 3 virtual machines;
- Configuration of a basic system : upon describing the most important configuration parameters, Data/API/Management nodes will be configured and the Cluster launched;
- Loading data: the "world" schema will be imported into NDB using "in memory" and "disk based" storages; the attendees will experience how data changes are visible across API Nodes;
- Understand the NDB Storage Engine : internal implementation details will be explained, like synchronous replication, transaction coordinator, heartbeat, communication, failure detection and handling, checkpoint, etc;
- Query and schema design : attendees will understand the execution plan of queries with NDB, how SQL and Data Nodes communicate, how indexes and partitions are implemented, condition pushdown, join pushdown, query cache;
- Management and Administration: the attendees will test High Availability of NDB when a node become unavailable will learn how to read log file, how to stop/start any component of the Cluster to perform a rolling restart with no downtime, and how to handle a degraded setup;
- Backup and Recovery: attendees will be driven through the procedure of using NDB-native online backup and restore, and how this differs from mysqldump;
- Monitor and improve performance: attendee will learn how to boost performance tweaking variables according to hardware configuration and application workload