Online Schema Changes for Maximizing Uptime
Whether adding indexes, altering enums, changing datatypes or reorganizing tables - there are right and wrong ways when production is involved. In this session, we will go over common operations implemented in production, discuss their impacts, and appropriate strategies for minimizing downtime and customer impact to systems.
* Fast operations including index adds and enum list changes (and gotchas!)
* Online schema changes using current production utilities such as Facebook OSC and PT-Online-Schema-Change
* Rolling Migrations and Upgrades
* Impacts of replication on DDL changes
* Things to look out for when changing your schemas.