GET 24/7 LIVE HELP NOW

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup: "Can't create/Write to file "F:\etc. etc.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup: "Can't create/Write to file "F:\etc. etc.....

Hi all thanks for being there.

Status: Me - I am an absolute beginner - started 2 days ago!!

Apologies: For probably a question you folk have seen TIME AND TIME AND TIME again!! But for me this is only DAY ONE so excuse it please..

Programs involved: MySQL server version 5.0.22
    Navicat Trial version 7.2.12 (Trial)
    Navicat is a MySQL database server administration and development tool.

Both installed with all defaults and no database creation or otherwise by me at all. So here is a beginner just going in and "pressing buttons" to see how they respond.

Problem: Chose the already existing MySQL database which houses the help files. Went to New Backup and attempted to make backup. Error message came up and I have uploaded an image for you to see. It reads "Can't create/write to file: F:\Windows\Temp\#sql-654-0.myd" Error code 17.

What I did: Investigate the temp directory and found it had actually created the file. However when I returned to Navicat I could not continue because of this error. I had to return to the temp directory where I deleted this file. Then Navicat could be used again to locate databases. Have repeated this about 6 times since with similar messages.

Contacted Navicat who replied today and gave me a link to:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=9551

Went there and as you can imagine (with my 2 days experience) - yes you have guessed - I had not got a clue as to what was being discussed.

My observations: It just seems to me that this type of error message has been going around is this form for about 2 years - well a long time anyway!

If I cannot backup a completely new situation simply, what hope is there for me to make progress. So that is why I have come here because otherwise I just do not know where to turn.

Please if you can help me, can you do it in simple terms because I just do not know how to go about things like those advanced guys at that "bugs" link.

I am just surprised that 2 new programs installed by default just do not appear to be able to work together. If I had "fiddled" - then yes I would definitely feel some responsibility. But not at the present.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.
    David
    United Kingdom

I would move your mysql temp directory to somewhere other than Windows\Temp and exclude your anti-virus from scanning this new temp folder. Looks like the likely cause is anti-virus trying to read the file.

Comment

linuxrunner wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 12:15

I would move your mysql temp directory to somewhere other than Windows\Temp and exclude your anti-virus from scanning this new temp folder. Looks like the likely cause is anti-virus trying to read the file.

Thank you so much for responding. As a total newbie I have little idea where to look for my (mysql temp directory). But I have found references to:

my-medium.ini
      #tmpdir = /tmp/

Is all that where I should take out the comment sign and say create a new directory like: F:\Temp

Then there are a number of other (ini) files. So a little confused confused:

Then do I have to use my Spyware Doctor antivirus and add that file to the exclusion list. Is this what I have to do please?

Sorry about my junior questions, but I am sure you will understand.

I suppose my main point is the WHICH ini file I should place this new temp directory. I am assuming that the comment sign above means that currently I have no temp directory and the Windows\Temp is being used by default from elsewhere within MySQL.

Thanks again for your kind help - much appreciated.
      David
      United Kingdom

Comment

On windows the file should be my.ini

I just checked a windows machine and mine was in the following path.
        C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini

In the file you want to change or add a line

tmpdir="C:\temp"

Don't forget the double quotes, make sure the dir exists and is excluded from your antivirus/spyware, hope this helps.

Comment

linuxrunner wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 19:10

On windows the file should be my.ini

I just checked a windows machine and mine was in the following path.
          C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini

In the file you want to change or add a line

tmpdir="C:\temp"

Don't forget the double quotes, make sure the dir exists and is excluded from your antivirus/spyware, hope this helps.

Thanks again. But I feel I have a more fundamental problem. Let me try to explain. When I had made that first posting I had downloaded Apache/MySQL and PHP and tried to install them myself. As a beginner am I kidding!! Well I got into all sorts of scrapes, and made the posting.

The upshot was I came across a website following someone else's recommendation called http://www.devside.net which is an open source software containing the 3 products which work together. I uninstalled the others and then installed what is known as Web-Developer Server Suite. It is great and works simply fine. Nevertheless I DO get that earlier problem occasionally when working with Navicat and also another good program called Toad for MySQL 2.0 Freeware when I attempt backing up.

Well that is the story so far.. Now with regard to the *.ini files - I found that the Web Developer has all the ini programs I alluded to earlier, but it does have the (my.ini) file your refer to. However because of the combined software I suppose, it is located in my F:\Windows folder.

Now in respect of making sure my AntiVirus program allows references to F:\Windows\Temp - unless I am missing something I can only globally allow FILES not folders. But I am going to check this out with Spyware Doctor help to see if in fact I can do this somehow.

In Navicat the backup is referred to as "backup", but in Toad I believe I would use Export function - but once again maybe within Toad there is also a direct reference somewhere to BACKUP. Toad most of the time Exports the examples within the program such as "mysql" and others OK but now and again it will stop and give me that error message which I posted earlier.

Finally within that (my.ini) file I did make the reference to
          tmpdir="F:\temp"

And, there was a folder of that name present too.

But it does seem that the combined setup has its own "rules" and defaults automatically to the F:\Windows\Temp and now and again experiences problems when I use the two management tools. So I "commented" it back out again and left the status quo that was originally installed.

As a newbie I know I should not make assumptions because of my total lack of experience but I really DO feel that this difficulty is something somewhere to do with the software setup. Because obviously individuals such as yourself have got it working and do not come across it. However, I must be patient and later as my learning grows I will probably suddenly see the light and say, "oh that is what I should have altered"..!!!

Once again I do thank you for trying your best to assist me.
          David )

Comment

Hi guys

Won't bother you anymore, but thanks for all your assistance.
            I have had a look at Apache/MySQL and PHP and for me none of this works.

I have tried and tried here and elsewhere, but things are not quite so simple as I had imagined. If you followed all the words in books and forums, it would just work I thought.

My experience has been it just does not work like this, you need a lot of tenacity and possibly be able to work day to day in such an environment. That tmp directory problem, well it just shouldn't be like this - it really shouldn't. It is so basic I believe it should not present such a difficulty as I have found. Backing up should be so so straightforward an operation, even for an absolute beginner.

On a another posting I made here regarding MySQL and the "auto-increment" function. It just allowed me to change it to any number I wanted to later, where I feel it just should not permit this and it is so difficult to find out how to get a workaround. These two items I refer to were just simple operations that I made as a beginning to get a feel for things. They did not let me get off the ground.

So the bottom line is - I am going to just work from home with whatever is available on my web hosting company's web server and be satisfied.

For me it is going to be an ordinary computer simple cardfile type facility that allows text, pictures and perhaps will not be very flexible compared with professional databases, but for me it will serve as my work-around.

That simple cardfile type database can be found at:
            http://www.azzcardfile.com/

For me it will do fine and although I will have to go without many professional database facilities - I can forget the headaches that seem to come with the more professional packages. I am fairly logical and can understand instructions, but it seems that too many things have got to "gel" absolutely 100% for things to work smoothly with the server, php and MySQL.

Bye guys and once again - "thanks" and good luck to you all.
            David
            United Kingdom

Comment

Working...
            X