Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• master / master over internet

Hi

We're doing a migration to a new datacenter and to make the migration without any downtime or dataloss we want to setup a master master over the internet. The two datacenters are both on the east coast and get 80 - 90ms latency from pings consistently.

This would only be for a short window, perhaps 1 or 2 days. From our testing this seems to work but we haven't tested under load or anything.

My question is, should this work? Anything settings or whatnot we can do to make sure we don't have any issues?

skrewler wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 18:14
    My question is, should this work? Anything settings or whatnot we can do to make sure we don't have any issues?
    Does the applications database design support a master/master configuration?
    And can you live with delays in replication?

If the answer is yes to those two you can use it, but I suggest that you monitor the replication on the two servers closely so that they don't fall to much behind on the replication.

Generally I'm reluctant to use master/master replication due to that the application must be designed for it, the delay and the high risk for split-brain.
    But if it works for you then it should work over the WAN connection also, just a bit more delay.

Comment

You'll probably want to do replication over SSL or via a VPN/stunnel connection

Comment

Working...
      X