Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percona-XtraDB binary package for FreeBSD

Hi Everyone,

It may seems a stupid question but I didn't find an answer by myself.

I would like to install Percona-XtraDB-5.1.43-9.1 on our FreeBSD-8 amd64 system. Downloaded the package from http://www.percona.com/percona-builds/Percona-XtraDB/Percona -XtraDB-5.1.43-9.1/FreeBSD/binary/ but I'm not familiar with the procedure to install this package. In FreeBSD I usually make install through the ports tree which is source + freebsd specific parches which get compiled and installed OR freebsd package which includes compiled binaries with additional instructions where they should be located.

I'm looking forward to test Percona releases!

Nik

Hi Nik,

The tarball you've downloaded is neither FreeBSD package nor port.

1. You have to untar the archive in /usr/local/.

cd /usr/local/
    tar zxf Percona-XtraDB-5.1.43-1.0.6-9.1-FreeBSD-8.0-RELEASE-amd64.ta r.gz

2. Then create a symlink:

ln -fs Percona-XtraDB-5.1.43-1.0.6-9.1-FreeBSD-8.0-RELEASE-amd64 percona-xtradb

3. Then create a startup script:

# cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/percona-xtradb.sh
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin:/usr/local/percona- xtradb/libexec

case "$1" in
    start)
    mysqld_safe &
    ;;
    stop)
    killall mysqld
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
    ;;
    esac

4. Add mysql user

5. Create a blank database:
    # export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin:/usr/local
    # mysql_install_db
    # chown -R mysql /usr/local/percona-xtradb/data

6. Start Percona-XtraDB:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/percona-xtradb.sh start

7. Give us your feedback

Comment

All installed well, mysql server is working but it seems that libmysqlclient is not build into the package. Sure enough I can install the client from the normal port.

Now my question is - Is it possible to integrate the patches into the normal FreeBSD port? I'm willing to help but will need more info regarding how your source package differ from the one on mysql. Is it the structure the same, etc.

Comment

Nik,

The existing FreeBSD ports provide standard MySQL and I believe they should remain as they are.
        Instead, in future we have to create a new port and submit it.
        Percona Server is based on MySQL + patches of MySQL from https://code.launchpad.net/percona-patches + patches of InnoDB from https://code.launchpad.net/percona-xtradb.
        I would appreciate your help, please contact me at aleksandr.kuzminsky_at_percona.com to coordiate efforts.

Comment

Hi

I've just installed Percona-Server on FREEBSD using your instructions

all works well

Except, I can't now use the mysql client

I've noticed that in your docs there is a shared-compat program to install, but every reference talks about #yum ... which is not possible on Freebsd

I have noticed that the mysql binary exists in /usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin/ and I can run mysql if in that directory but I guess I need to add it to my path to be able to use it from everywhere - how do i do that?

Also, if I try to run things like Super-Smack I get:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.16" not found, required by "super-smack"

What is the best way to get around this on FreeBSD 8.1 (AMD64)

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

benseb wrote on Tue, 16 November 2010 22:28

I have noticed that the mysql binary exists in /usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin/ and I can run mysql if in that directory but I guess I need to add it to my path to be able to use it from everywhere - how do i do that?

You can add /usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin/ to PATH variable:

export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/percona-xtradb/bin

benseb wrote on Tue, 16 November 2010 22:28

Also, if I try to run things like Super-Smack I get:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.16" not found, required by "super-smack"

What is the best way to get around this on FreeBSD 8.1 (AMD64)

There are two ways:
            1. Add the directory with libmysqlclient.so.16 to the list of directories with shared libraries:

# ldconfig -m "/usr/local/percona-xtradb/lib/mysql"

2. Define environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running programs depending on libmysqlclient.so.16:

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/percona-xtradb/lib/mysql

Comment

I noticed yesterday, before getting this reply that I can actually install mysql51-client from freebsd ports and it seems to work fine?

Is it ok to use this, just makes maintenance really easy?

Ben

Comment

yes, any mysql client perfctly works with Percona Server

Comment

Working...
                X