• Show
Clear All

• slow SELECT COUNT(*) on VPS server

Hi !

This is my first port here, so I hope I'll do it right :roll:

Actually, I have:
    - a VPS server with 256mb of ram only.
    - a site with about 30 concurent users
    - a datebase with one table that have 300,000 rows, and is 500mb big.

This table contain user messages, so I need to generate a pagination. Pagination require to know the total of message for a user.

From my log files, I can see this:

Reading mysql slow query log from /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.logCount: 109 Time=10.02s (1092s) Lock=0.98s (107s) Rows=1.0 (109), user[user]@localhost SELECT count(id) FROM cc3_he WHERE display=N AND IDPerso=N

(N mean Number)
    So this is the problem: all my pages are taking 10sec+ to load !

The fields:
    - id int(12)
    - IDPerso smallint(5)
    - display smallint(1)
    - date int(10)
    - from varchar(25)
    - from_id int(5)
    - from_id2 int(5)
    - from_description text
    - from_description2 text
    - type varchar(20)
    - msg longtext
    - msg_size int(10)

My indexes on the table are:
    - PRIMARY BTREE Oui Non id 312679 A
    - IDPerso BTREE Non Non IDPerso 379 A
    - date BTREE Non Non date 312679 A
    - display BTREE Non Non display 2 A

Someone have an idea ?
    Thanks for reading )

Extend your index in IDPerso to include display also. And if you use MyISAM, change count(id) to count(*).

But it is better to keep this count in the usertable and update it when a user makes a post.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying this right now.

But can you explain me why MyISAM is faster with COUNT(*) , and what it the difference in creating 1 index with 2 fields instead of 2 indexes ?

Thanks !

Edit:

Quote:

But it is better to keep this count in the usertable and update it when a user makes a post.

Really ? This is what GMail or Hotmail are doing ? They *never* COUNT the messages ?

Comment

>> But can you explain me why MyISAM is faster with COUNT(*)
        data for the id field does not need to be retrieved

>> and what it the difference in creating 1 index with 2 fields instead of 2 indexes ?

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/09/12/3-ways-mysql- uses-indexes/

Comment

I might be a little dumb, but I still don't understand what is different between 2 indexes and 1 index of 2 fields.

The whole article talk about using 1 index with 2 fiels... confused:

Comment

Say you have something like:

SELECT product_id FROM sales WHERE category_id = 1 AND salesperson_id = 2;

The sales table has a million rows, 50,000 of which match category_id 1 and 5,000 of which match salesperson_id 2. But there are only 100 rows that match both. You have two indexes, one on category_id and one on salesperson_id.

When MySQL goes to evaluate this query, it will only ever use one index per relation (table) to retrieve the data. If it chooses to use the category_id index, it will read 50,000 rows off disk and filter them by salesperson_id in memory, and return to you 100 rows. The same goes for the salesperson_id index, except that it will read 5,000 rows and filter by category_id in memory.

In general, the name of the game is to reduce disk I/O, so you go with the index that results in the fewest rows read from disk.

Now let's say you drop those two indexes and instead add a single index (category_id, salesperson_id). Then you'll only be reading 100 rows when you evaluate this query.

While it sounds much better, if you were to change the query to

SELECT product_id FROM sales WHERE salesperson_id = 2;

That index we just added can't be used, and we'll get a table scan (we read 1 million rows), because we must provide the prefix (category_id, in this case), in order for the compound index to be useful. The article gmouse suggested explores this in detail.

Comment

Ahhh ok !

So if I have a table with a PRIMARY key that I use to control 3 keys as UNIQUE:

[page_id, zone_id, user_id], content, foo, bar, etc

And I want to find all the zone_id of a user page:

SELECT zone_id FROM table WHERE page_id=? AND user_id=?;

I should add another index:
              [page_id, user_id]

... because my primary key can't be used, and the query will do a full table scan ?

Edit:
              By the way, is it true that MySQL read the WHERE statement from Right to Left ? (The right statement must be the one that discard the most result)

Comment

Nope. Since you are supplying page_id, MySQL will use the primary key, because you have specified left part of the key.

An index is kinda like a table that's already sorted. So your primary key would look a lot like the result of this query:

SELECT page_id, zone_id, user_id FROM mytable ORDER BY page_id, zone_id, user_id;

If you look at the results of that query, it should be easy for you to visually find all the rows where page_id = 1, right? They're all clumped together nicely.

But if you're just looking for user_id = 1 without a page_id, well, all of the sudden its not very easy to do visually, because they seem to be all over the place, because they are sorted first by page_id, which you aren't asking about, and then again by zone_id.

So if you asked for page_id = 1 and zone_id = 2, visually, you'd be able to find the rows easily, because you'd first find where the rows for page_id = 1 start in your results, and then start looking for zone_id = 2. The same goes if you add in user_id.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, that make sense. Just to be sure, I've modified the senario by swapping fields, could you tell me if #1 and #2 are OK or not ?

#1:
                  Quote:

[zone_id, page_id, user_id], content, foo, bar, etc

SELECT zone_id FROM table WHERE page_id=? AND user_id=?;

#2:
                  Quote:

[page_id,zone_id, user_id], content, foo, bar, etc

SELECT zone_id FROM table WHERE user_id=? AND page_id=?;

Thanks !

Comment

Scenario #1 doesn't use the primary key* and scenario #2 will use the page_id part of the key.

*Not to confuse you more, but technically this query in scenario #1 will be evaluated only using the primary key, since the key contains all the columns required to produce the result set without any table lookups. If you selected out a column not in the index, then a table scan would result instead. You can actually see this in the output of EXPLAIN when "using index" shows up.

Comment

Ok, now I get it (well I think) )

It would use the primary key, but as it's all scrambled, it would be slower.

The order of the WHERE fields are not usefull.

Comment

Just to be completely clear let's hit a few scenarios. Say we have

[zone_id, page_id, user_id], content, foo, bar, etc

as you mentioned.

Here are queries, going from fastest to slowest:

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE zone_id=? AND page_id=? AND user_id=?;

The order the columns appear in the where clause is irrelevant, so this is just as fast:

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE user_id=? AND zone_id=? AND page_id=?;

Now slower:

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE zone_id=? AND page_id=?

Slower still:

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE zone_id=? AND user_id=?

just as slow as the above

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE zone_id=?

slower still

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE user_id=?

just as slow as the above

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE page_id=?

etc.

Comment

Wow, really, I've learned alot. So in a way, I'm really greatfull to you. But in another way, I kind of hate you for all the work I must now do to fix my databases )

Comment

Working...
                          X