Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to perform bulk updates

Hi all,

I hope you can help me, I had an application, Is a messaging system and I would like to be able to do about 50000 updates every two seconds on a table indexed by autoincrement id.

What is the faster way to do these updates? Send these on the same query? disable the indexes?

Thanks in advance,
    Ken

Show us Create Table of that table. Have you tried batch update??, in case if your application need to set same values for many rows. i.e. UPDATE tb1 SET col=val WHERE id IN (....);

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your answer, below is the table, the engine is InnoDB.

I would like to update the status field from "PENDING" to "OK" on 50000 rows in one go, is that posible?

+-------------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------- --------+
      | Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
      | id | bigint(20) | NO | PRI | NULL | auto_increment |
      | reference | varchar(20) | YES | | NULL | |
      | status | varchar(10) | NO | | NULL | |

Thanks in advance.

Comment

UPDATE table
        SET status = "OK"
        WHERE id IN (1, 3, 756, 98234, 2344323);

I'd strongly recommend converting your status column to an TINYINT and using an integer to specify the status. You'll save a significant amount of disk space and that kind of query will go faster as you will be writing out less information to disk.

Still, updating 50,000 rows in 2 seconds isn't likely possible. Even if they're 36 bytes, going by your table, that's asking MySQL to write out almost 1 MB a second. That's possible if the records you're updating are all located together, but you might only manage 100 records per second if the records are no sequential by primary key.

Comment

Working...
        X