Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to MySQL

Hi..

I am new to MySQL....
    We are making a social networking website and wanted to add email facility to it....what are the features of MySQl that would be useful for me....
    Please suggest some performance tweaks as well....
    we are using the InnoDb storage engine by default....is it fine or should we change that also....

I have heard about something called archival in MySQL....please enlighten me on this topic as welll...will it be useful for me....

Thanks in advance

Do you mean archive storage engine?
    http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/storage-engine. html

Comment

Thanks for correcting me...
      Will the Archive Storage Engine be useful for my project..
      Please tell me how to install the Archive Storage engine...
      i tries configuring my table to archive storage engine but it gave an error in MySQL Query Browser that "the storage engine is not enabled currently"...
      Please tell me how to enable it and also enlighten me on the advantages of using this storage engine for implementing the Email facility in my project.....

Comment

Please do 'SHOW ENGINES' and post result here.

Comment

I have attached the result of SHOW ENGINES command...

Comment

Do you have self-built MySQL? I've checked several Redhat and Debian boxes, and ARCHIVE storage engine is enabled on all of them. Looks like you have to rebuild MySQL with enabled ARCHIVE engine.

Comment

I am using MySQL on a windows PC...
              Could you please give me the command that i should use to rebuild MySQL with enabled Archive Storage Engine..

Comment

Please also suggest me which would be the best storage engine to use for a social networking website with email facility....
                The performance of the site is the main issue....we dont want any problems with the performance speed of the site....So please suggest the best storage engine accordingly...

Comment

It's hard to say anything definitely without having detailed information about your application.
                  But in general - look at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/storage-engines.html, it describes features of different engines. Choose the best one for you (those one which fits all your requirements)

Comment

icedhacker wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 13:35

I am using MySQL on a windows PC...
                    Could you please give me the command that i should use to rebuild MySQL with enabled Archive Storage Engine..

Use google )
                    http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?112,45335,45335

Comment

Thanks a lot...i think that should do it...

Comment

Working...
                      X