X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selects with multiple categories

We are using application (which is quite optimized, but not in this particular case) which stores posts in various categories.
    The category field contains comma-separated list of category-ids and so the select query looks like this:
    SELECT ... WHERE category regexp '[[:<:]](124|15|18)[[:>:]]'
    which of course can't use any indexes.

Is it somehow possible to optimize/rewrite this query without changing the table structure? I know the best would be to have special table with multiple rows of post_id+categ_id, but that would require a lot of work.

Yes, it's better to have another table which stores information about post matching with category.

But there is a trick, which could increase performance of such queries. What MySQL version and what storage engine are you using? In 5.1 there is a MyISAM mmap feature. Please see details here

Comment

I'm using Mysql 5.0.45 (debian package from dotdeb) and this table is MyISAM (it has fulltext index also).
      I'll by adding more RAM (this server has now only 1 GB) and that should help also with the filesystem cache (those tables are about 2x 300 MB + about the same for indexes).
      That mmap feature looks interesting, but I didn't find any debian package for etch (only in experimental).

Comment

Working...
      X