X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InnoDB and COUNT(*)

It is probably well-known feature/bug but still is a somewhat mystery for me - why exactly a simple "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table" can take hours to complete on a relatively small dataset (~50M records), not depending on isolation level, no different in 4/4.1/5 ?

Thank you!
    --
    Dmitry

Innodb does not store count(*) counter as MyISAM does, this is because it is multi version system and each transaction could have different number of rows visible.

So SELECT COUNT(*) is executed as full table scan or index scan.
    If your table is fragmented (physically) it may take quite a while.

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'table' provides approximate row counter which can be used for some applications. There also other workarounds.

Comment

That's what I thought... even SELECT COUNT(primary_key_field) was no faster (

Yeah, my last idea was to create a table with list of tables and a bunch of triggers to keep actual row counts ))

Just curious - haven't you had clients who had the same problem? Weren't they surprised (not in a good way)? ))
      --
      Dmitry

Comment

Right triggers is yet another workaround even thought not very convenient.

Yes this is major bummer for some of the customers, especially moving from MyISAM and I constantly bug Heikki to fix it )

Comment

Working...
        X