Search Results for: encoding mysql

Fixing column encoding mess in MySQL

Just had an interesting issue with an encoding mess on a column containing non-ASCII (Russian) text. The solution was not immediately obvious so I decided it’s worth sharing. The column (actually the whole table) was created with DEFAULT CHARSET cp1251. Most of the data was in proper cp1251 national encoding indeed. However, because of web […]

utf8 data on latin1 tables: converting to utf8 without downtime or double encoding

Here’s a problem some or most of us have encountered. You have a latin1 table defined like below, and your application is storing utf8 data to the column on a latin1 connection. Obviously, double encoding occurs. Now your development team decided to use utf8 everywhere, but during the process you can only have as little […]

Implementing SchemaSpy in your MySQL environment

Lately I have been working with a set of customers on a longer term basis which has given me time to explore new tools using their environments.  One tool that I am finding very helpful is called SchemaSpy. SchemaSpy is a Java-based tool (requires Java 5 or higher) that analyzes the metadata of a schema in […]

How to recover table structure from InnoDB dictionary

To recover a dropped or corrupt table with Percona Data Recovery Tool for InnoDB you need two things: media with records(ibdata1, *.ibd, disk image, etc.) and a table structure. Indeed, there is no information about the table structure in an InnoDB page. Normally we either recover the structure from .frm files or take it from […]

Testing InnoDB “Barracuda” format with compression

New features of InnoDB – compression format and fast index creation sound so promising so I spent some time to research time and sizes on data we have on our production. The schema of one of shards is