October 1, 2014

Row-based replication, MySQL 5.6 upgrades and temporal data types

Whither your rollback plan? MySQL 5.6 upgrades are in full swing these days and knowing how to safely upgrade from MySQL 5.5 to 5.6 is important. When upgrading a replication environment, it’s important that you can build a migration plan that safely allows for your upgrade with minimal risk — rollback is often a very […]

utf8 data on latin1 tables: converting to utf8 without downtime or double encoding

Here’s a problem some or most of us have encountered. You have a latin1 table defined like below, and your application is storing utf8 data to the column on a latin1 connection. Obviously, double encoding occurs. Now your development team decided to use utf8 everywhere, but during the process you can only have as little […]

How to recover deleted rows from an InnoDB Tablespace

In my previous post I explained how it could be possible to recover, on some specific cases, a single table from a full backup in order to save time and make the recovery process more straightforward. Now the scenario is worse because we don’t have a backup or the backup restore process doesn’t work. How […]

Innodb row size limitation

I recently worked on a customer case where at seemingly random times, inserts would fail with Innodb error 139. This is a rather simple problem, but due to it’s nature, it may only affect you after you already have a system running in production for a while.

Converting Character Sets

The web is going the way of utf8. Drizzle has chosen it as the default character set, most back-ends to websites use it to store text data, and those who are still using latin1 have begun to migrate their databases to utf8. Googling for “mysql convert charset to utf8″ results in a plethora of sites, […]

Fixing column encoding mess in MySQL

Just had an interesting issue with an encoding mess on a column containing non-ASCII (Russian) text. The solution was not immediately obvious so I decided it’s worth sharing. The column (actually the whole table) was created with DEFAULT CHARSET cp1251. Most of the data was in proper cp1251 national encoding indeed. However, because of web […]

When (and how) to move an InnoDB table outside the shared tablespace

In my last post, “A closer look at the MySQL ibdata1 disk space issue and big tables,” I looked at the growing ibdata1 problem under the perspective of having big tables residing inside the so-called shared tablespace. In the particular case that motivated that post, we had a customer running out of disk space in his […]

A schema change inconsistency with Galera Cluster for MySQL

I recently worked on a case where one node of a Galera cluster had its schema desynchronized with the other nodes. And that was although Total Order Isolation method was in effect to perform the schema changes. Let’s see what happened. Background For those of you who are not familiar with how Galera can perform […]

Check for MySQL slave lag with Percona Toolkit plugin for Tungsten Replicator

A while back, I made some changes to the plugin interface for pt-online-schema-change which allows custom replication checks to be written. As I was adding this functionality, I also added the –plugin option to pt-table-checksum. This was released in Percona Toolkit 2.2.8. With these additions, I spent some time writing a plugin that allows Percona […]

Getting to know TokuDB for MySQL

During last April’s Percona Live MySQL Conference and Expo, TokuDB celebrated it’s first full-year as an open source storage engine. I still remember reading the official announcement and the expectations it created one year ago. The premises were very interesting as it had the potential of helping MySQL manage “big data” in a way InnoDB just […]