September 21, 2014

Percona Software in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr) release

I’d like to congratulate Canonical with the new Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr) Release, it really looks like a great release, and I say it having my own agenda :) It looks even more great because it comes with a full line of Percona Software.
If you install Ubuntu 14.04 and run aptitude search you will find:

Percona Toolkit and Percona XtraBackup are up to the latest versions, but Percona Server and Percona XtraDB Cluster comes with 5.5 versions, and it is in line with default MySQL version, which again is 5.5.

I expect this release will make it much easier for users to get familiar with our software, so you can go and try this today!

About Vadim Tkachenko

Vadim leads Percona's development group, which produces Percona Clould Tools, the Percona Server, Percona XraDB Cluster and Percona XtraBackup. He is an expert in solid-state storage, and has helped many hardware and software providers succeed in the MySQL market.

Comments

1. Richard Rodriguez says:

Hello!

Will you be adding percona 5.6 to apt repositories for Ubuntu 14.04 anytime soon? Do you know why Ubuntu decided to include percona 5.5, but not 5.6 in their 14.04 release?

Thanks!

2. @Richard – Many other programs in Ubuntu link against libmysql, so it doesn’t hurt to be conservative for an LTS. MySQL 5.6 is available in universe.

3. Nick says:

Hi,

Will Percona be updating their Apt repository to support Trusty or do we have to use the distribution packages? If you are going to update your Apt repository, do you know when this will occur?

Cheers,

Nick.

4. Richard,

Ubuntu decided to go with 5.5 by default, as there was a quite narrow timeframe for the release.
    There was an idea to make all flavors available (MySQL, Percona Server, MariaDB), and we’ve had some work done in this direction – the recent mess with libpercona renaming was related to that. Unfortunately this approach introduced more problems than solved, and there was no enough time to fix it.
    At this moment I do not expect Percona Server / XtraDB Cluster 5.6 will be available from official Ubuntu 14.04 repos.

5. Nick,

All our new releases will support Trusty (and available from Percona Trusty repos), but we have no plans to make previous releases ported to Trusty.

6. Richard Rodriguez says:

Wow, thanks for the answer, Vadim, and thanks for doing such a great job for all of us developers!

7. Nick says:

Thanks Vadim. When you say that previous released won’t be ported to Trusty, does this mean the 5.5 branch won’t be available and you will only be releasing 5.6+ on Trusty?

I’m essentially after percona-server-server-5.5 and percona-server-client-5.5 packages for Trusty on the Percona Apt repository. If this won’t be available, I’ll just plan to migrate to 5.6.

Thanks again.

8. Nick,

As you may see 5.5 branch is still under an active work
    The trend is Oracle provides a bug fix release bi-monthly.
    so I expect there will be 5.5.38 release, probably by end of May

9. Todd Thomas says:

At the moment, it seems my only option for deploying Percona Server (sans XtraDB Cluster) on 14.04 is to build it from source.

I tried apt-get install percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.5, but of course that gives me a percona-server with the wsrep modifications, which won’t start up with a my.cnf that enables the query cache. I had hoped setting wsrep_on = OFF would fix this problem for me, but that didn’t work, and in fact the docs indicate that option can’t be set at the command line or by the config file (!). I guess that means it can only be set after the server is running, which won’t happen with the query cache enabled.

Please let me know if there’s some way (other than building from source) that I can install a standalone Percona Server with query cache enabled on 14.04.

Thanks.

10. Hyper says:

I’ve installed percona server 5.6 from source due to the lack of Ubuntu 14.04 binaries, but the installation is missing an init/upstart script. When trying ‘mysql -version’ it doesn’t appear to be installed. Where can I find one that’s suitable for Percona Server 5.6?

11. Boris says:

Hi Vadim,

For those of us who used to have percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6 installed on saucy, but upgraded to trusty and lost the package in the process… what are our options? I’d like to get the percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6 on trusty… but don’t see a trusty version in the percona apt repository… do you know when one might become available?

Thank you!

-Boris

12. Boris says:

Hi again,

I have just built the percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6 from source and generated the DEB files for the release (via the supplied build-dpkg.sh script). Am I allowed to upload those to my own PPA on LaunchPad for others to be able to use until you guys upload a version to your apt repository?

Thanks,
    Boris

13. Boris,

Our software is GPL, so you can do whatever you want as long as you respect GPL license.

Meantime you can see we release new versions of our software which supports Trusty already (however Percona XtraDB Cluster 5.6 was not released yet for Trusty).

14. Boris says:

Hi Vadim,

Is there an ETA for when XtraDB 5.6 will be released for Trusty?

Thank you!

15. Doonie says:

If you really really need it (like I did) check the compile guide I found here http://blog.imdk.org/2014/06/how-to-compile-percona-xtradb-cluster.html

The compile guides on percona are confusing and never work out completely (as stated in blog). But hopefully a DEB package will be available soon from the percona repo (though 4 months have passed since this blog post by Vadim was created)

16. pschwaller says:

PXC 5.6.19 has been released and supports 14.04. See the details here: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2014/07/21/percona-xtradb-cluster-5-6-19-25-6-now-available/