MySQL 5.6’s new replication features: Benefits, Limitations and Challenges

MySQL 5.6’s new replication featuresOn Wednesday I’ll be leading a webinar exploring MySQL 5.6’s new replication features. And yes, as usual I’ll deliver news on the good, the bad and the ugly (that is to say the benefits, limitations and challenges).

The webinar, appropriately titled, “New Replication Features in MySQL 5.6: Benefits, Limitations, and Challenges“, is scheduled for Oct. 23 at 10 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time. You can register now to reserve your spot (this webinar will also be available for playback afterward).

This session aims at exploring some of these new replication features in MySQL 5.6 including:

• Binlog checksums
  • Crash-safe replication
  • Multi-threaded replication
  • Global transaction identifiers

You will learn which problems they are likely to solve and how they can improve the performance or the resilience of your application. We’ll also discuss their limitations and the challenges you may face while trying to implement them.

I’ll be answering questions afterward but feel free to ask yours below in the comments.

Comments

1. Jacob Nikom says

Hi STephane,

It was nice to listen to your presentation.

Where I can find the slides?
    Usually Percona presenters have them on the webinar page, but I did not find any.

Where you would advice me to go?

Best regards,

Jacob Nikom

2. Jacob Nikom says

Hi Stephane,

I have another question about your webinar. It is about crash safety of GTID-based replication.
    You said that replication tables don’t contain GRID information.

Why it is necessary for crash safety? How it influences the master and slave recovery after master crash?
    What about slave crash – is it important?

Best regards,

Jacob Nikom

3. Stephane Combaudon says

Hi Jakob,

Slides will be posted soon on the webinar page (as well as the recording of the webinar).

Regarding crash-safe slaves and GTID, what I wanted to mention is that there is no ‘Executed_Gtid_Set’ field in slave_relay_log_info. You will only find a file name and a position.

So if you have a replication error and if you want to inject an empty transaction to fix it, you will have to find another way to find the GTID of the transaction you want to skip. This can of course be done by looking at the relay log or by running SHOW SLAVE STATUS, but I’d like to see that in slave_relay_log_info.

This doesn’t impact the crash safety of the slave, it’s rather a usability annoyance.

4. Vlad Fratila says

Hey, nice webinar, keep up the good stuff!

I was the one asking about RDS, and specifically about enabling crash-safe replication. Once I knew what to enable, it was easy: I looked in RDS and by default, all 3 params are enabled.

PS: There’s a problem with the recording, audio cuts off, and there’s a big portion around crash-safe rep that’s without audio.
    It’s worth noting that the audio during the webinar was ok.

5. Stephane Combaudon says

@Vlad,

I was not sure about RDS, and indeed read replicas are crash-safe by default for MySQL 5.6 instance.

Regarding the recording, I noticed during the webinar that we had some technical problems, so unfortunately, I don’t think it will be possible to recover the audio for the missing part.

6. Stephane Combaudon says

That should be fixed soon. We’re working on the recording of the webinar which has some problems.