Are you a developer familiar with writing applications that use MySQL but you feel a bit limited on how to manage a MySQL Database?
The full day tutorial, co-presented by my colleague Dimitri Vanoverbeke and Liz van Dijk, will be mainly hands-on. On each of the various topics some slides will be presented, but the goal is to have YOU, as the student, work on a MySQL environment as much as possible.
What will we cover? Almost every aspect of being a MySQL DBA!
- First, we will install MySQL and configure the right privileges for your system.
- Once we have a database running, we need to understand better what our database is doing. We will explain and look at the different possible diagnostics and monitoring options in MySQL.
- We will even troubleshoot some issues which will be simulated on your individual test environment!
- Not losing any data is an important goal for a MySQL DBA. we will discuss and try some of the different backup options.
- One of the commonly used features in MySQL is it’s built-in Replication. We will setup replication to another machine and verify consistency between master and slave.
- Day-to-day MySQL DBA Operations like schema changes and optimizing the configuration will be done.
VirtualBox images will be provided to do the hands-on exercises on your own laptop.
This requires you to have at least +10GB of disk space available as well as at least 1GB of RAM available.
In order to make this day as smooth as possible, we are making extensive use of VirtualBox snapshots. This will allow you step back and forward to any chapter in the course in case you got stuck or if you would like to play with it some more in the future.
Do you match any of the following?
- I know what replicate_same_server_id is!
- I know all GRANTs by heart!
- pt-query-digest is my favorite tool!
- I’ve fixed a lot of replication inconsistencies already!
- My backup environment is the most awesome there is!
I would reconsider attending this talk, as it is aimed towards a beginner audience.
Is this talk is not a fit for you?
No worries, there is a varied range of tutorials available for you:
- Percona XtraDB Cluster in a nutshell: Hands on tutorial!
- Query Optimization with MySQL 5.6: Old and New Tricks
- The complete Tungsten Replicator tutorial
- MongoDB for MySQL users
- InnoDB Architecture and Performance Optimization
- What’s new in MariaDB 10 and MariaDB tools
Not even mentioning all the awesome talks on Tuesday 12 November.
Interested in attending? The Advance Rate Tickets are still available until 13 October. Hurry!