October 25, 2014

What Causes Downtime in MySQL?

We’ve just published a new white paper analyzing the causes of emergency incidents filed by our customers. The numbers contradict the urban myth that bad SQL is the most common problem in databases. There are a number of surprises in other areas, too, such as the causes of data loss. This is the companion to my earlier white paper suggesting ways to prevent emergencies in MySQL. It is a re-published and re-edited version of an article that just appeared in IOUG’s SELECT magazine. You can download it for free from the MySQL white papers page on the Percona web site.

About Baron Schwartz

Baron is the lead author of High Performance MySQL.
He is a former Percona employee.

Comments

1. Sean Hull says:

Another great whitepaper Baron. These are invaluable sources of information. We are lucky to enjoy this material freely!

2. Baron Schwartz says:

3. bob says:

Arrrrghhhh, two column layout! So old fashioned! And really, really hard to read on screen.

4. Baron Schwartz says:

Jason, thanks, that is a typo. I’ll fix.

5. Jason says:

Hey,

This must be a typo?

“Another frequent error was failing to set the InnoDB log file size, so the server was running with the default 10MB of redo logs instead of hundreds of GIGAbytes.”

Cheers

6. Jason says:

Hey,

This must be a typo?

Cheers

7. Jason, thanks, that is a typo. I’ll fix.

8. bob says:

9. I’ll take that as a compliment to the quality of the writing :) But seriously, I do have a pending task to create a nice white paper layout and reformat all of them. This is just LaTeX 2-column default.

10. Sean Hull says: