October 23, 2014

Blog Redesign 2011

After more than four years of using a theme that can charitably be described as rustic, we’ve updated our look. We’re using the News theme from StudioPress, which is a bargain; their themes and theme framework are an engineering marvel. We’re still using the amazing Sphinx search plugin from Ivinco for fast and relevant searches. For the archives, here are before and after screenshots.

MySQL Performance Blog 2006     MySQL Performance Blog 2011

MySQL Performance Blog 2006 and 2011

About Baron Schwartz

Baron is the lead author of High Performance MySQL.
He is a former Percona employee.

Comments

1. Great redesign for new year.

2. Big difference! The new design now matches the professional level of the content on the site.

3. Steffen says:

I like it, except for the two(?) navigation bars on top that I find somewhat confusing / hard to understand. :)

4. Umesh says:

Too good…
    But IMO…..”Archives” section should come at the right side of the page for the ease of reading and of course for better navigation..

5. Alexander says:

I liked the previous ‘rustic’ design more, sorry. It was easier to read.

6. bob says:

Too busy. Too much distraction. Classic form over function: looks better until you try to read it.

I hope Safari’s Reader function starts picking this up.

7. Leandro López (inkel) says:

I can only congratulate you on the decision of the site redesign, however as others already said, it’s not very functional, the previous one was focused on the content, not the design.

8. michael says:

Much preferred the previous version, much more readable!

9. Arkadiusz says:

I also preferred the previous version. Current version has fixed width (so there’s a lot of wasted screenspace), harder to read font and too many unnecessary links, images, big menu at the top – too much distraction.