October 1, 2014

MySQL Performance Blog now uses Sphinx for Site Search

I never liked how build in WordPress search works. it shows full documents rather than snippets it does not search comments and it does not have any query language so I always used Google search if I wanted to find something on MySQL Performance Blog.

Today we have published new search functionality for our site which is based on Sphinx. We have developed it as WordPress plugin which will be available as open source software in a few weeks – just want to test it a bit more and write proper documentation before announcing. If you would like to test it however let us know.

As you can see search functionality allows you to specify what would you like to search (Posts, Pages or Comments) as well as if you would like to sort results be relevance of freshness. You can also use query standard Sphinx query language to search phrases or Search MyISAM in post title.

Besides basic search functionality we’ve implemented list of last searches and Top searches which if both nice for fun and for SEO.

Hope this addition will make MySQL Performance Blog more useful for you.

UPDATE: For those looking to download plugin code it is here:

About Peter Zaitsev

Peter managed the High Performance Group within MySQL until 2006, when he founded Percona. Peter has a Master's Degree in Computer Science and is an expert in database kernels, computer hardware, and application scaling.

Comments

1. sambaker67 says:

This NEW program allows homeowners to walk away from their underwater mortgage with absolutely no penalty from their mortgage lender and get $3000

2. Sightline Payments says:

My choice is what I choose to do, and if I’m causing no harm it should not bother you.Your choice is who you choose to be, and if your causing no harm then your alright with me.

3. Evan says:

Can the Sphinx plugin work on WordPress-MU?

4. Carpii says:

Great to see you using Sphinx. I always used google to search your site too, but it was never that convenient

5. peter says:

Even,

I do not know about WordPress-MU it likely would need some work.

6. paolo says:

Hi guys,

I’m experiencing some performance issues with full-text indexes on MySQL, and I’m actually studying Sphinx as an alternative. On some tests I’ve done, I see a good performance, but was wondering ifyou could share some benchmarks comparing the two systems on your case. It would help me a lot to sell this change internally ;)

7. samuel says:

Wow that’s great.

I’ve heard that you have to use cronjob to make its indexes update periodically.
    Is there any search engine support that for realtime indexes ? That would be great.

8. milos says:

Sphinx WP plugin sounds great. Usually all WP plugins works with WP-MU, but I don’t know how your plugin works. In WP-MU, tables are numbered, for example wp_1_posts, wp_2_posts etc. I believe you would just have to configure Sphinx index for each blog in Sphinx config and that is it.

@samule Yes, there is a Lucene search engine but Sphinx is really great once you set it up right, with all updates etc.

9. peter says:

Right it uses cron to update indexes which is good enough for the task.

Sphinx will support real time updates in the future. It just takes a time to implement it without performance sacrifices.

10. Nice work, team!

11. peter says:

Paolo,

Please check presentation page. It has full text search benchmarks for Sphinx/Lucene/MySQL FT. Though all of them are somethat improved and we need to redo them the general idea stays the same.

12. paolo says:

Thanks Peter… Sorry, I hadn’t noticed the link before.
    I’m a new fan of the blog ;)
    Keep up with the good work.

13. directory says:

Ein wirklich sehr Interessante Seite mit guten Informationen.

14. Test for fulltext search with Sphinx : Địt con mẹ…Không biết Sphinx có tìm kiếm được cái này không nhỉ ?

15. Can’t search with keyword : “Địt”

16. peter says:

Thanh,

Thank you. I will check how our encoding tables are set up. For this blog we were mainly looking for english search.

17. Hi Peter

I hope Sphinx can support Unicode and Vietnamese.
    “Địt con mẹ” -> Vietnamese

18. Xaprb says:

The new search is nice to use. I especially like the phrase proximity relevance, so I see “group commit” results before results that have both “group” and “commit” somewhere in them. :o)

19. peter says:

Thanks Baron, Yes phrase proximity really helps with ranking in many cases.
    Group commit is a good example as both GROUP and COMMIT are frequent terms in SQL scripts :)

20. peter says:

We just updated sphinx tables now to be unicode and now Địt con mẹ is searchable whatever than means :)

21. Tks Peter,
    Good job.

22. fukVietnamese says:

peter,

“Địt con mẹ” mean “Fuck You” in Vietnamese

23. fukVietnamese says:

I mistake,

It mean “Fuck your mother”

Vietnamese very uncultivated!

24. test for “Đ”.No fuk.
    Tks Peter.

25. freeware blackjack kasino says:

My English not so good but thank for lovely site with information I looking for and need also.

26. Raymond says:

Sphinx is a wonderful full text engine and I recommend anyone wanting great flexibility and performance for full text searches to check it out! I am happy to hear about the WordPress plugin. Great blog BTW!

27. Evan says:

Is the plugin available yet?

28. peter says:

Evan,

It is coming if you’re interested I can hook you up with developer for beta testing.

29. Evan says:

I’d like that, although I need it for WordPress-MU in an integrated environment with another site, so I’m not sure that I can give much useful feedback for the standard case.

30. Aikaz says:

It is likely to be little bit complicated for me to implement. Is there any simple thing other thank Sphinx? But It is worth to try.

31. Tournier says:

Hey, I’d like to know how you have handled the very recent post in the index. Are they directly available for search ?
    thanks,

pierre-yves

32. Patrick says:

Hi, This sounds great. I’ve wanted to fix my wordpress search for awhile now. Can I check out the beta version of the Sphinx plugin? I’d love to play around with it on my local instance.

33. nice work , very interesting :) thanks

34. Lisa says:

Is your WordPress search plugin available for use by the general public? If so, where can it be downloaded?

35. I think is nice site keep it on , very good

36. amica says:

Thank you, friends, for your sharing your ideas

37. aarp dental insurance says:

Great site! Best wishes!

38. william says:

great idea I was looking for this solution,where I sign for beta test?

39. Jordi Prats says:

This have been already released? I can’t find it neither on this blog neither on wordpress pluguins list… If it haven’t been released can I beta test it? I would be glad of it :)

Jordi

40. Ed says:

Where can I download the WordPress plugin?

41. peter says:

Still not published. I passed your comment to developer so he might send you distribution as we have it now.

42. yann says:

Hi,

I’m also very interested in this project. Is it possible to have a distribution of this engine ?
    Thanks

43. Philippe says:

Hi,

I would be very interested into beta testing it as well,

Thanks!

44. Walter says:

Any new Status for the WordPress Plugin? Any chances to get in contact with the original author?

45. peter says:
  46. Kash says:

Hi there,

This is exactly what I have been searching for :) I downloaded the plugin and uploaded to my WordPress 2.7 site. Unfortunately I got the error below when trying to activate

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/dubaijob/public_html/dev/wp-content/plugins/wp-sphinx-plugin-1.0.tar.gz on line 45

Can anyone help at all, please?

Thanks

Kash

47. iver says:

This plugin works with wordpress 2.9?

Thanks