Working on “High Performance MySQL, Second Edition”, how you can help?

As you may already have seen announcement by Baron we’re working on major rewrite of High Performance MySQL book – the most famous book about MySQL Performance on the market… which is getting old though. We’ve been slowly working on the book for over half a year now and were later joined by Arjen Lentz and Baron

I think we make a great team and will be able to provide great in depth book on MySQL Performance topic to the market. Me and Vadim have great internals insight and a lot of practical experience in MySQL Scaling and Performance Tuning but our Russian-Ukranian English needs a lot of editing and we’re far from experts writers plus we’re quite busy doing MySQL Consulting.

Arjen has great writers experience – he worked on MySQL Documentation for many years as well as contributed a lot to MySQL Training experience which gives him an edge on how to make material understandable to the people. Arjen also did fair amount of MySQL Support and Consulting while working for MySQL so he can offer us another competent point of view.

Baron has a experience in performance optimization for MySQL and other databases which gives a very important angle plus being author of large amount of popular MySQL tools such as MySQL Toolkit he is surely the man for the job. Not to mention his excellent writer skills – many articles you find at his blog are very smart in depth and elaborate.

OK at this point you should have already seen the outline, if not read Baron’s announcement so we would appreciate hearing your comments on it and what is the most important we would like to hear your ideas about things which need to be covered.

Do you think some MySQL Performance related things are not covered yet in MySQL manual or there is some interesting optimization trick you’re using or anything else – let us know and we may be able to add material about it in the book. Just make sure it is something interesting to wide audience and not specific to a very niche application.

We also will be looking for reviewers. Let us know if you’re interested in reviewing one or more chapters.

We’ll keep you posted as book progresses when we have any more information

Comments

1. says

I presume you will also be covering the new profiling patch in MySQL 5.1? Anyways, I already left comments in Baron’s blog. If you need reviewers count me in, I have been asking for a new iteration of this book for quite some time.

2. says

Sure. Now the patch is finally in 5.1 we should spend more time on covering it in the practical approaches for performance analyzes.

3. Harrison Fisk says

Some very indepth analysis of InnoDB and how it functions, tuning it, etc… would be a very good addition (similar to many of your blog entries, such as the show innodb status walkthrough). The original book didn’t get into a lot of details like that, and I think it would add a lot of value to do so.

Also if you need a reviewer, I would be willing to help as well.

4. says

Thanks Harrison,

Indeed we cover a lot of Innodb stuff but again it is hard to get very mich in depth as it could be the whole book alone about Innodb architecture and advanced performance optimization tricks. We of course cover basic things such as short primary keys, clustering etc.

5. says

Hi Peter,

I’d like to review some chapters for you if you still need people. I am not a MySQL guru so I hope I can still apply for it :)

Best regards,

6. says

Hello Peter,
    if you still need hands and eyes for reviewing, I can be of service.

And it’s so good to see that there’ll be a second edition! :-)

Cheers
    Jan

7. says

I thoroughly enjoyed the first edition, and look forward to reading the second! I would love to help by reviewing material. I also will send you some material I have regarding improving performance with Ruby on Rails, which might fit in the chapter on Application Level Optimization

8. says

Hi Peter,

I’de love to review the chapters on Finding Bottlenecks, Query Performance and Scaling and High Availability. I would certainly try to apply that knowledge in real-life applications.

Cheers,
    Christian.

9. Bill says

I would also be interested in reviewing the book. I feel the mysql manual doesn’t do a good enough job explaining the pro’s and cons of using various mysql features. Like when does it make sense to use merge tables, partitioning, federated tables, mysql cluster, circular replication and/or dbrd and in what combinations. Also I’d like to hear from people with real experience how mature these technologies are and what kind of pitfalls they’ve run into. Also some discussion of the various storage engines and their current performance and future potential would be helpful.

You’ve already done some of that in your blog, but it would be nice to have it all in a single reference.

10. Martin says

I really enjoyed reading the first edition and I would like to help reviewing (Chapters “Replication”, “Backup and Recovery” and “Server Performance Tuning” – in this order…).

Cheers,
    Martin

11. Jonathan says

I know that asking when a book will be finished is like asking when 5.1 GA of MySQL will be released! However I would like to buy the book, and was wondering if I should wait until the 2nd edition is out (if it’s going to be weeks).
    If it’s going to be months, is it still worth getting the first edition, or is it too dated now?

12. says

I can’t tell now but we have good progress other coming months.

Right now you can get old book it is still quite good in basics and for advanced stuff Internet is best anyway.
    Jay Pipe’s Pro MySQL also should be decent.

13. says