September 21, 2014

Planet MySQL AdSense Advertisement

As you probably know MySQL is Running AdSense Ads on PlanetMySQL.org for last few months. When the project was just started it was Ad free. I’m curious If MySQL Really ask syndicated Blog owners if they would allow that or if they just hope if someone does not like it he would speak up ?

I recently found an blog post on the same matter which make me to think on this once again.

So what is my take on this ? We currently run no Ads on MySQLPerformanceBlog and I would not like to see someone making money from something I have chosen to be free.

Would I like to be removed from PlanetMySQL aggregation ? No because many MySQL users are subscribed to PlanetMySQL rather than tens of individual MySQL blogs they would like to read, and I do not want to cut my RSS feed for the same reason.

About Peter Zaitsev

Peter managed the High Performance Group within MySQL until 2006, when he founded Percona. Peter has a Master's Degree in Computer Science and is an expert in database kernels, computer hardware, and application scaling.

Comments

1. Sebastian says:

I don’t think, they will make much money out of it. I’ve visited Planet MySQL two or three times, the only thing, I use about Planet MySQL is their RSS feed, that is luckily ad-free.

2. Luis says:

Since I don’t see that your content is licensed under any Free license, I guess no one can redistribute your content without written permission. The fact that you have a public RSS feed doesn’t mean someone can grab it and redistribute it through a public web page. So if they don’t have your permission, what they’re doing is illegal.

That said, if what concerns you are the ads, and not that they redistribute your content, I’d say that your content is still free (of cost) for the readers. That site is offering a service, and that can cost time and money. Google’s ads will help to pay the bills, but won’t make them rich. Besides, Google invests part of the benefits they get from ads in Free software projects, so I don’t think this whole situation is evil in any way.

Advertising is necessary to keep the web going (and to keep it free). Reasonable ads should be welcome. Annoying ads should be banned. But Google’s text ads are quite reasonable and not annoying IMHO.

Still, I think that these kind of sites should not use the full content, but rather the headlines and first few lines and then link to the original site.

3. peter says:

Sebastian,

Looking at Alexa rating of PlanetMySQL I to do not think there is a lot of money made from Adsense. But in this case why at all bother placing on site where your rights to do so are questionable.

I believe there are much more money to be made on documentation pages and forums in which case it is perfectly fine.

4. peter says:

Luis,

I’m far against Advertisements on a web. Our consulting business is at large extent paid by money people earn from web advertisement.

Sure. If Planet MySQL would snippets rather than full posts while keeping advertisements I would have no concern, but it is not how it is done. Furthermore it could be done to only show snippets on web pages with Advertisement and pass full articles when they are exported with RSS.

Also MySQL could require you to allow them to reuse your content and show ADS on it if you’re being aggregated on Planet MySQL.

5. I think an important question is this: what is the financial state of MySQL AB that they consider it necessary to port adsense on their manual and feed aggregator? Are things so bad that they need that little bit of extra revenue at the expense of the goodwill of their users?

6. Frank Mash says:

I agree with Mike. It does makes MySQL look extremely desperate.

Frank

7. Xaprb says:

I don’t like this either. I’ll say something to the MySQL folks about it. Thanks Peter for pointing this out.

8. Xaprb says:

Whoops, I didn’t mean my last comment to sound like I can tell them what to do… I just meant “I’m going to say something directly instead of just posting here and hoping they notice.”

If I could tell them what to do… “Fix my favorite bug !” :-)

9. Brian Aker says:

Hi!

So this is me, speaking as me… (which is the norm). If you don’t like it, create your own aggregator. They are a dime a dozen.

Why bother though? You make money from people seeing your posts on the site, far more I hope, then whatever MySQL AB ever makes off some ads on the site.

Put in a different light… if this was some individual who had set this up, and had spent their energy/money on it, would you begrudge them the few ad dollars?

I am a little surprised that this bothered you at all, to me it doesn’t seem like it is worth the effort to write about.

Cheers,
    -Brian

10. It’s just beer money…..

11. peter says:

Brian,

If this is not worth writing why do you get so angry ?
    I already mentioned I do not like it but not enough to do something about it.

I simply wrote about it as I read article on the topic and found it applying to this case as well.

12. FWIW, the Google Ads have now been removed from Planet MySQL. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!

13. peter says: