GROUP_CONCAT useful GROUP BY extension

(There is an updated version of this post here)

MySQL has useful extention to the GROUP BY operation: function GROUP_CONCAT:

GROUP_CONCAT(expr) – This function returns a string result with the concatenated non-NULL values from a group.

Where it can be useful?

For example to get PHP array without looping inside PHP:

Table:

Handling in PHP:
old way:

with group_concat:

This should work faster, as we remove loop from PHP to MySQL server side.

Also it can be handy to use result concatenated string as part of IN statement:

Sure, last example can be handled with one query with joins, but sometimes we need the temporary ids in clients code, for example to execute query on another server.

One more thing: you may want to add ORDER BY NULL statement after GROUP_BY to avoid
unnecessary sorting with filesort

Comments

1. says

A litte problem I had with the group_concat function was when selecting integers only I was getting a blob instead of a string to solve this I used a cast:

SELECT GROUP_CONCAT(CAST(myInt as CHAR)) myInts FROM aTable;

2. says

Hi, Thanks
    Do anybody know how to do the same as the GROUP_CONCAT() function do
    in MS-Access? It seems don’t have this kind of functions

3. says

I have created a table (with only 2 fields) with the following query

1.CREATE TABLE users (
    2.id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY ,
    3.name VARCHAR( 20 ) NOT NULL
    4.) ENGINE = MYISAM ;”

There are 20,000 users in this table with ids from 1 to 20,000
    On executing the following query
    Code: ( text )

1. select group_concat(id separator ‘,’) from users

returns only 283 ids separated with ‘,’

4. Eduardo says

Hi, is it possible to use some kind of argument in group_concat that allows it to group 2 by 2? p.ex:
    SELECT id,client_id FROM services WHERE id = 3;

| 3 | 9,10 |
    +—-+————————-+
    | 3 | 10,11 |
    +—-+————————-+
    Thanks!

5. says

A litte problem I had with the group_concat function was when selecting integers only I was getting a blob instead of a string to solve this I used a CONCAT:

SELECT CONCAT(GROUP_CONCAT(myInt),”) myInts FROM aTable;

6. Martin Zvarik says

Don’t use!

1) explode() can’t be faster than the loop

2) GROUP BY slows the query

Did you do benchmark, or you just guessed the results??

7. Florian 2L says

Hello !

I’ve a little problem using group_concat and user variable.
    I tried to set a group_concat(id) result into a @var, and then call the same table where id in(@var)
    but mysql return only the first row :\ do u have any idea ?

Here is the code :
    ——————
    CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS user (
    id tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    nom varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (id)
    ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=10 ;
    INSERT INTO user (id, nom) VALUES (1, ‘flo’),(2, ‘seb’),(3, ‘julien’),(4, ‘julie’),(5, ‘aymeric’),(6, ‘renaud’),(7, ‘lucy’),(8, ‘charlotte’),(9, ‘aurelien’);

mysql> SELECT @lid := CAST(GROUP_CONCAT(id) AS CHAR) FROM user WHERE nom in(‘renaud’, ‘julie’, ‘lucy’);
    +—————————————-+

+—-+——-+
    | id | nom |
    +—-+——-+
    | 4 | julie |
    +—-+——-+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I know it is totally useless but it’s just a sample ;)

Regards.

8. Florian 2L says

Mysql support saved my time :)

mysql> SELECT * FROM user where FIND_IN_SET(id, @lid);
    +—-+———-+
    | id | nom |
    +—-+———-+
    | 4 | julie |
    | 6 | renaud |
    | 9 | aurelien |
    +—-+———-+
    3 rows in set (0.02 sec)

9. Barbara says

I have two tables – member_directory & categories – that have a many-to-many relationship. I am using a bridge table called member_categories.

SELECT DISTINCT(md.id),GROUP_CONCAT(categories.category SEPARATOR ‘, ‘) AS category FROM member_directory md LEFT JOIN member_categories mc ON md.id = mc.member_id LEFT JOIN categories ON mc.category_id = categories.id GROUP BY md.name ORDER BY md.isfeatured DESC, md.name ASC LIMIT 0, 10
    ====================================================================
    id | category |
    ——————————————————————–
    951 | CONDOMINIUMS, VACATION RENTALS |
    1711 | VACATION RENTALS, REALTORS |
    1413 | VACATION RENTALS |
    1163 | BOATING/FISHING/MARINE |
    2034 | VACATION RENTALS |
    2240 | TRAVEL AGENCIES, VACATION RENTALS |
    2033 | APARTMENT/HOUSE RENTALS |
    2208 | APARTMENT/HOUSE RENTALS |
    2153 | HEARING AIDS, MEDICAL SERVICES/HOSPITALS/CLINICS, AUDIOLOGY |
    1002 | CONDOMINIUMS |
    ====================================================================

If I add any conditions regarding the category, the GROUP_CONCAT starts returning only the category mentioned in the WHERE clause (I don’t think I explained that very well, but here is an example). Adding a WHERE clause to the query:
    SELECT DISTINCT(md.id), GROUP_CONCAT(categories.category SEPARATOR ‘, ‘) AS category FROM member_directory md LEFT JOIN member_categories mc ON md.id = mc.member_id LEFT JOIN categories ON mc.category_id = categories.id WHERE mc.category_id = 187 GROUP BY md.id ORDER BY md.id ASC, md.name ASC LIMIT 0, 10

====================================================================
    id | category |
    ——————————————————————–
    1417 | SHOPPING |
    1736 | SHOPPING |
    1768 | SHOPPING |
    2219 | SHOPPING |
    2403 | SHOPPING |
    2407 | SHOPPING |
    2426 | SHOPPING |
    2431 | SHOPPING |
    2456 | SHOPPING |
    2458 | SHOPPING |
    ====================================================================

Is there any way I can get the desired result? I just need a query to get information from the member_directory and any categories it may belong to.

10. Barbara says

I was able to get what I needed by using a sub-query:

SELECT DISTINCT(md.id), (SELECT GROUP_CONCAT(categories.category SEPARATOR ‘, ‘) AS category FROM member_categories LEFT JOIN categories ON member_categories.category_id = categories.id WHERE member_categories.member_id = md.id) AS category FROM member_directory md LEFT JOIN member_categories mc ON md.id = mc.member_id LEFT JOIN categories ON mc.category_id = categories.id WHERE mc.category_id IN (138) GROUP BY md.name ORDER BY md.isfeatured DESC, RAND(1283945655) LIMIT 0, 10
    ====================================================================
    id | category |
    ——————————————————————–
    2275 | VACATION RENTALS, MASSAGE THERAPY, CONDOMINIUMS |
    1388 | VACATION RENTALS |
    1839 | VACATION RENTALS, CONDOMINIUMS |
    1845 | CONDOMINIUMS, VACATION RENTALS |
    1808 | REALTORS, VACATION RENTALS |
    1899 | CONDOMINIUMS, VACATION RENTALS |
    951 | CONDOMINIUMS, VACATION RENTALS |
    1713 | VACATION RENTALS, CONDOMINIUMS |
    2240 | TRAVEL AGENCIES, VACATION RENTALS |
    2285 | VACATION RENTALS, CONDOMINIUMS |
    ====================================================================

However, if anyone has any tips to make this better, please post! Thanks!

11. JayaLakshmi says

Details

The result is truncated to the maximum length that is given by the group_concat_max_len system variable, which has a default value of 1024. The value can be set higher, although the effective maximum length of the return value is constrained by the value of max_allowed_packet. The syntax to change the value of group_concat_max_len at runtime is as follows, where val is an unsigned integer:

SET [GLOBAL | SESSION] group_concat_max_len = val;

Current values in Our server

max_allowed_packet = 67107840
    group_concat_max_len = 1024

Query:

To how much extent ,I can increase this variable size .and what is the maximumm data limit of GROUP_CONCAT

12. PixelMe says

When I am using in GROUP_CONCAT, It will list all the values associated wit the parent ID, But I need only few like limit in ordinary SQL statement. Anybody know how to do this in MySQL qeury?

tblmovies

1 4
    1 5
    2 4
    4 5
    3 5
    5 6

When I was selecting the Movie whith Id 1 GROUP_CONCAT will result Horror,Documentary, Drama ; But I want to get only 2 genres which is Horror,Documentary.

Please somebody help me .

Thanks.

13. liki05 says

hi PixelMe.

you can use substring_index(group_concat(column),’,’,2). it will return the first 2 concated values.

14. bhushan says

it work for me..

@Murz, Jasan

Alternatively you can use

CONVERT(group_concat(myInt) USING utf8)

15. Panagiotis says

Hi, this is a useful tutorial but i need some more help. In my table the column I use the GROUP_CONCAT is a foreign key from another table. So, i have to display PC1,PC2,PC3 for example and no 2,3,4 which are the values of my table. I tried with LEFT JOIN but I didn’t get a result. I’m trying to make an extra query inorder to take those names but nothing yet. Can you halp me a little bit?

16. says

i used group_concat in my query but i got i problem
    problem is

mysql group_concat limit length is 1024 and i need to increase it ( i did it )

but is there is problem when i increase group_concat length to more than 1024

it work fine in localhost , but on the website , i got error -> need more premission to do this

17. Ron says

I have a table like
    userid testid attempts grade
    2 1 6,4,9,2,7,5,3,8,1 20,55,56,67,80,66,33,34,52

I want to get the attempts in order like
    userid testid attempts grade
    2 1 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 52,67,33,55,66,20,80,34,56
    And my query looks like
    SELECT li.userid, li.testid, group_concat(li.attempts AS att, group_concat(li.grade) FROM testattempts GROUP BY testid

Could anyone help me with this?

18. santu says

Hi,
    Can we change the comma( , ) symbol to | symbol in group contact present in the mysql …

appreciates a reply..

19. Pankaj Bisane says

You can chanage separator as follows:

mysql> SELECT *,
    -> GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT test_score
    -> ORDER BY test_score DESC SEPARATOR ‘ |’)
    -> FROM table_name

20. Ehsan says

Is GROUP_CONCAT() Function in Sql Server too?
    If it has a sample command in sql server please say to me . thanks

21. jas says

i have below loop
    for($x=$c;$x!=1;$x–){
    $sql1=”select l2tpCDR.iccid as ic, sum(l2tpCDR.data) as sdata from l2tpCDR inner join sim on sim.ICCID=l2tpCDR.iccid where StatementID=0 and sim.simID='” . $b[$x] . “‘ group by ic”;

$result1=mysql_query($sql1);
    mysql_error();
    $row1=mysql_fetch_array($result1);
    }

and i want to tot up all the sum(l2tpCDR.data) as sdata at the end .could you please help me with this?

22. Neodot says

@Andrey:
    GROUP_CONCAT is rather slower than a regular while( mysql_fetch_array() ) PHP loop. The example here is just for simplicity. But GROUP_CONCAT is really powerful, when it comes to get several records with several “subrecords” without getting too much data (duplicated) from related tables. For example:
    SELECT p.name, p.description, group_concat( pf.filename SEPARATOR ‘:’ ) FROM pages p LEFT JOIN pages_files pf USING( pages_id )
    will get all pages and to every page – all files assigned to it (separated by ‘:’). You can even try something like this:
    SELECT p.name, p.description, group_concat( concat( pf.description, ‘: ‘, pf.filename ) SEPARATOR ‘;’ ) FROM pages p LEFT JOIN pages_files pf USING( pages_id )
    to get same as last time, but with files and their descriptions (file and description separated by :, and different files assigned to the same page separated by ;) in one query. With a little more work you can get a ready-to-use xml code for this kind of tree-structure, and if not for the group_concat limit – you would be able to construct a single SQL query to extract a ready-to-use XML document containing all pages and their assigned files with all the required attributes – it is up to you to use this grouping function for much more then replacing php while loop, as it’s possibilities are really huge.

23. says

Also to change seporator value in case you have commas in your values you can define it with
    group_concat(table.value SEPARATOR ‘|’)